Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Itty bitty step forward

I decided that if I could not create a rug in Milkshape, as my first project, then perhaps I could alter a picture. Take something existing and make it larger. I was happy to see that everything I was doing was working - of course, I was only eye-balling it as I still cannot tell how to take a measurement or to resize in scale. I imported back into TSW and everything worked. Altered the different attributes to the new corrected size and presto:
I neglected to notice the grid on the 'wall' in the program. Three blocks is a wall in Sim-topia. This was grossly over-sized and it was larger than the mantle. Still - it worked - this was a larger version of the 'lips' painting.

I know - you are thinking: I wanted that picture to be larger too, but you changed it to be some stupid deer picture. I can only offer that one should only have so much joy in the game. Such stellar art should be kept in small doses.

I exited my staging room and went back to task. No taller than the three boxes in the grid but somewhere above the bottom box . . . it's not like there is some sort of cheat that tells you exactly how tall things are in the game.
It actually worked. Of course, this would look completely stupid without the mantle beneath it, but it worked. I had set up a room with every fireplace and this really only would work above a few of them . . . the one above is the perfect height for it. The following two are okay - would need something on the mantle like plants or clocks or perhaps an urn with ashes engraved "Fifi, I knew you well."

Moving on . . . in my further attempts at altering existing multipliers to make frames look more diverse, I applied a leaf pattern to the frame, colored the frame with the chrome pattern and exported to the game. When I viewed it in game however, I couldn't even see the image - the sheen was so bad it almost looked like a white square. I tore apart the file and found what I thought was the problem - re-exported and same problem. To make a boring story shorter, the way a picture file is composed, the pattern is covering the entire shape and the overlay just sits atop it . . . still affected by it to a degree:
Simply changing the frame to plastic allowed the image to be seen again. Now, you're probably thinking - well DUH, but I am thinking - why can't the frame just change - there has to be a way to do that . . . so, perhaps today while I wait for the dryer repair man (a self imposed furlough day if he doesn't get here early enough damn it) I will see if I can tinker with the mask file and remove the pattern from the front and back planes. It's not that I need the frame to be chrome - I don't want there to be a sheen should someone who downloads a file choose chrome as their pattern and then hate me cos the file is 'bad' . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment