Sunday, June 13, 2010

A new found respect:

Milkshape isn't shaping up to be something that I entirely understand . . . what's that expression - Rome wasn't built in a day? Well thank god they didn't have Milkshape to create it - it's mind boggling. In fairness, the program is very straight forward - the flaw lies within me - I simply do not understand this sort of program . . . but it has only been a day - well a day and a half . . . and $35. Pffft.
What do you think I am attempting to create? A rug. Should be simple but it is not. I get the whole process of moving the mesh into the program. I am starting to understand the points and all - but I am lost at how to ditch one line and connect the points to create a new line. I need crayons I think . . .

This reminds me a bit of Illustrator . . . the program that I hate most in this world. Why? Bézier curves. It's like connect the dots on psychotropics.

I'll continue to dabble with it . . . until then - I will be posting more rugs/paintings until I can figure this out. You'll be the first to know.

1 comment:

  1. I think the future is about intuitive interfaces for creative tools. You've seen Minority report right? A company released a beta explore of a painting program that uses real brushes but they serve as wands on a "tactile interface". I'd post the link but it disappeared, so I'm thinking either they got some major funding or they were assassinated by Corel.

    The ipad is just the tip of the iceberg. Keyboards are horrendous interfaces for creative processes other than writing.

    Inevitably, this type of Milkshake logic is heading for the Smithsonian along with the Telegraph machine. Why? because it's not intuitive or user friendly and that's where we are heading in programming. *crosses fingers*

    Oh and that Bézier curve chart made my brain bleed a little.

    ReplyDelete