Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The continuing saga

It will probably be a while before I release it simply because I am not happy with a few aspects of it - including the UV mapping. What the primary function of the UV mapper is that you export your 3d model to it, then it takes each shape and makes all sides flat and viewable. Simple enough - with this information you can program the direction of a pattern, et cetera. The problem I am having is that you need to export to a specific size - a size the program apparently cannot display to you. You can reshape the window to be an approximate size, but really, I can find no documentation that says you can tell the window to be a specific shape.
That's kind of hard when you are exporting to a very specific size and trying to place items into that specifically shaped window.

So when I look at this, I see the blur that could be rectified if I had some sort of idea of what the size of the shape the image sits on needs to be. Of course, looking at a few previous entries, I feel like this is celebrating my stoopid moments - for instance, the black on the chart that should have been patterns? The alpha channel - it occurred to me in the shower . . . I am waiting for the moment when all the data forms the complete thought, but something about these programs (I blame Z [depth]) leaves me scratching my head. Another fine for instance would be the mantle painting and scaling - laughable.

So, in looking at my inspiration piece, I am happy with the appearance, but it is lacking two more things - a hanging mechanism which - let's face it, it's for a game - I don't think that people are thinking about that sort of thing but it feels incomplete to me. The other missing element would be the caps on the top roller bar. I think I know a way to do it but I need to play with it for a while longer.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good, I'm not the only self-flagellating perfectionist making sims stuff. It's your first mesh release yes? Take all the time you need, sometimes "filing" a concept away just to get it out of our faces long enough to work things out, does wonders.

    I actually care that you want to add a hanging mechanism and caps, and you can bet I will hang that puppy up backwards just to get a good look at the details.

    ReplyDelete